Friday, March 17, 2006

Do you believe in....

The chinese almanac?

^_^ I have friends that do. Not friends that are 40, 50 years old but rather, friends that are of my generation - meaning people in their 20-somethings! Hmmm I never knew that april (ie 3rd month of the lunar calendar) is not good for moving house! Geez...its like what you see in the chinese 古装 shows....whereby when couples get married, they will refer to the chinese almanac to pick an 'auspicious' date. My good friend did just that, deciding that next december will be a good choice based on the almanac, perhaps based on the fact that his horoscope does not advocate mariage for this year , the year of the rooster(we are both born in the year of the saru - monkey in japanese). Hmmm so the year of pig makes for a better year for marriage? I wonder.... :O I wish my good friend eternal bliss anyway! Thanks for giving me 2 year's notice to prepare your wedding hongbao yah? hahah.....

Fengshui?

Apparently...Fengshui does seem to have a large group of believers. Many business owners especially, believe that Fengshui plays an important role in factoring whether their business will enjoy good fortune or not. Everything physical aspect can affect the business' fortunes - be it the piece of land that the business is on pysically, the layout of the building, the surrounding roads and amenities and so on. I must admit that my knowledge of Fengshui though is very limited - too limited for me to make an informed review.

My father is a recent converted follower of fengshui. Perhaps he hasn't been doing well these few years and thus he becomes more willing to try out alternate solutions to improve his fortunes. Let me describe some of the experiments he did.

1. The door ba kuat - ba kuat is an octagon shaped mirror with some taoist inscriptions (i think) that's supposed to ward off evil. Hmmm i'm not too sure about evil but the location of the mirror does happen to be just opposite my neighbour's catholic cross.....

2. The altar shift - I have a taoist altar in my house where my parents do their daily worshipping. Used to have my desktop table next to it, until my dad decided that the table is 'blocking' the good aura of the altar and has to go. I obliged.

3. The 4-3-3.
This one is the ultimate! At the corner of my living room facing the main door, my father has converted the phone table into his 'guards of the good fortune' altar. Its rather hard for me to describe it literally hence i got this picture uploaded ^_^

Incredible isn't it? he actually placed a total of 11 figurines in this D.I.Y fengshui formation. The placement of the figurines look incredibly alike a soccer formation to me, that i'm tempted to help him switch it to a more continental 4-4-2 formation. Nah....not a good idea des.



Astrology?

Among the various items I raised, this is probably the one that I believe in the most. Do take a look at my previous blog entry about what I wrote on Taurus people.

My ex-girlfriend has a rather remarkable grasp on this field of study. She is able to tell the astrological sign of a person simply by looking at the way the person behaves. Quite impressive and useful I'll say. What's your astrological sign? Have you tried matching your personality to the generic traits of your astological sign?

Religion?

What do you think? Is there a god?

2 comments:

Jer said...

Haha....I'm not a taurus, I'm a leo. ^_^

Jer said...

No problem ^_^ Guess I'm not so stubborn then.